Call us on 045-241943 | 087-6625636 | 087-1719968 |

Tax Credits for Married Couples

Whether you are recently married or married for years, it is worth checking to see if you are claiming the maximum benefits of being jointly assessed. A lot of couples think that just because they are jointly assessed that their taxes would be correct. We are finding that this is not the case and many couples are not utilising the benefit of sharing their tax credits and standard rate cut off points with their partner which could be saving them money.

Year of Marriage Tax Credit

In the year of marriage or civil partnership, both of you will still be taxed as single people. However if you paid more tax individually in that year than you would have if you were taxed as a couple, you can claim a refund for the difference. This is known as the Year of Marriage Tax Credit. If you are due a refund, the amount you receive will be time apportioned to the number of months that you were married or in a civil partnership.

The Year after Marriage and Following Years

Couples must choose one of following three opions for calculating how they wish to be taxed:

  • Joint Assessment
  • Separate Assessment
  • Separate Treatment

Joint Assessment

This is the most common option and couples usually find this to be the most favourable choice. Joint Assessment allows couples to split their tax credits and standard rate cut off point to suit their needs. However if they are not allocated correctly each year then there is a risk of you overpaying tax.

If both spouses have taxable income then one partner is nominated to be the “Assessable Spouse”. If you do not inform Revenue as to whom you want this to be then Revenue will automatically nominate the person that had the highest income in the latest tax year.

The Assessable Spouse is responsible for filing tax returns and paying any tax due. You only need to complete one return per year but it must show both of your details.

Separate Assessment

Should you choose to be separately assessed, both of your tax affairs are dealt with independently of each other. The following tax credits will be split between you: Married Tax Credit, Age Tax Credit, Blind Person’s Tax Credit and Incapacitated Child Tax Credit.

Any other tax credits that remain unused by one spouse may be claimed by the other spouse. Separate Assessment can be claimed either verbally or in writing and the claim can be made by either spouse.

Separate Treatment

This option taxes each spouse as a single person and each person is required to complete and pay their own tax with Revenue. Both Spouses are allocated the tax credits and standard cut off points as a single person.

While Separate Treatment can be claimed either verbally or in writing, unfortunately one spouse cannot claim relief for payments made by the other and there is no right to transfer tax credits or Standard Rate Cut-Off Point between each other. Separate Treatment is not as popular a method of tax assessment for married couples or civil partners as Joint Assessment or Separate Assessment, mainly because any unused tax credits and cut-off points cannot be transferred.

Ensure You are Claiming the Benefits

By completing our simple Online Registration Form, our team of Chartered Accountants will be able to review your taxes and ensure that you are claiming the maximum tax relief from Joint Assessment. We review your taxes for the last four years and ensure you have claimed the benefit for each year. We are here to get you YourMoneyBack.

If you have any questions that we have not covered above or if you just need help claiming YourMoneyBack, simply contact us today. With our expertise we will ensure that you claim the maximum tax refund available. Simply complete our Online Registration Form at and we do the rest. We have the lowest fees in Ireland, plus, if you are not due a tax refund then there is no charge. Don’t miss your chance for a tax refund and Apply Today for YourMoneyBack!